Salary: £18,318.03 p.a. (pro rata of £20,981 p.a.)
37 hours per week 39 weeks per year
This post requires a highly organised person to assist the Science departments with their heavy technician demands. The successful candidate will ideally have a specialism in Biology.
The Biology department has ten members of teaching staff, one senior and another technician, the Chemistry department has six members of teaching staff, one senior and one other technician and the Physics department has five members of teaching staff and one technician
The post requires the applicant to take a support role for the Biology and BTEC Applied Science courses and to assist across the other Science subject areas as directed.
You will be required to work 37 hours per week during term time and the post is available from 30th October 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Purpose of the post
To assist staff and students in supporting practical work across the Science curriculum.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the preparation and delivery of appropriate equipment and materials to the laboratories and teaching rooms, in support of the teaching staff.
- Recovery and cleaning of the equipment and materials.
- Assist with the checking and routine maintenance of equipment.
- Making basic apparatus as directed.
- Purchase of perishable items as requested by teaching staff.
- Test new practicals for teaching staff when directed by the Senior Biology Technician.
- Liaison with the Head of Department concerning health and safety aspects of practical work carried out by the Department.
- Development of new equipment and experiments if possible.
- To work with the Science Technician team to cover BTEC Applied Science requirements of the coursework assessed unit including trialling experiments and making modifications where necessary
- To work flexibly between all areas of science responding to periods of peak workload.
- Undertaking such other duties as may reasonably be requested by management, commensurate with the post.
Responsible to: Head of Biology/Science Technician Co-ordinator
Special conditions/Points to note
The above are the main areas of responsibility and are not intended to be a comprehensive list of all administrative duties that are seen as part of the post. The detailed duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character or level of responsibility entailed
All duties must be carried out in accordance with relevant Health and Safety legislation and good practice.
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
The post holder is required to work in accordance with both organisational and personal responsibilities for data protection as outlined in College policy documents.
- Previous background experience in a science environment
- The ability to work in co-operation with colleagues and to be flexible
- Ability to act on own initiative and cope under pressure.
- Experience in an educational environment
- AS/A levels or equivalent qualifications in a science subject, ideally Biology.
- Familiarity with Health & Safety and COSH guidelines.
Annual salary will be in accordance with Sixth Form Colleges’ Support Staff Pay Scale. Sixth Form College sector conditions of service apply, which are very similar to schools’ sector arrangements and support staff are eligible to join the national Local Government Pension Scheme. Salaries are reviewed by national negotiation with effect from 1st September each year.
Salary sacrifice schemes for childcare and cycle to work are also available to all College staff.
This college is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. We are an equal opportunities employer.
To apply a College application form (please see link at top left of this page) must be completed and submitted to email@example.com - unaccompanied CV’s or third-party application forms will not be accepted.
Alternatively, applications may be posted to Human Resources Department, The Sixth Form College Colchester, North Hill, Colchester, Essex CO1 1SN.
Please note that our interview process will normally require that you attend the College in person as we do not usually offer a remote interview process.
Closing Date: 12 noon, Monday 2nd October 2023